Sunday, June 01, 2008

Please explain this to me

All I really want to do these days is stay at home, close to where I am safe and my water can't break in public. I've still got to keep it together for Jacob and give him a change of scenery once in a while so we've been getting out doing as much as we can. Today we went to the mall and used those nifty JC Penney's coupons that come in the mail around Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day. The coupon is for $10 off of a purchase $10 or more, so it's almost like free money. I had two.

Jacob got a John Deere t-shirt, the baby got an organic cotton t-shirt which I am psyched about because it was Arizona brand. I'm glad mainstream companies are coming around to the Earth friendly way, but it was still 'Made in China'. Well, they're halfway there. We also got an adorable dress for Marisa that I'll give her for her birthday and then in six years my baby can wear it (girl or not). I only wish they made them in my size. Actually, when I am back to a normal size again I can resume shopping in the kids' section. I'm short enough that I can get away with it.

Woah...sorry, I got away from myself. I just love clothes so much I went off on a tangent. It's my biggest addiction. Anyway, so the other thing we did today was go to Starbucks because I had some money left on a gift card and I thought Jacob would like to sit out front in the sun to watch the people go by. While we were there I saw car after car after car pull in, the driver would get out leaving a passenger sitting there and the engine running. And I see people do this all the time, all over the place. I don't understand this. Are these people so rich that they just don't need to bother observing the gas prices?

Why would you leave your car running in a parking lot like that? If you're going to be idle for more than one minute then leaving your engine running is wasting gas. The cost of gas is only one reason, but also you're polluting the environment. The people who left their cars running were in Starbucks for way more than one minute - it was more like five minutes. I couldn't help but stare at the people sitting in the cars. I was almost hoping that they would ask me why I was staring at them so I could get on my high horse and tell them to shut off their freaking engine.

It's not like it was really, really hot and they needed the air conditioning on, the really seemed to be no reason why they would leave it running. Even in the cold weather, is it that important to keep the car running? That's the reason we have winter coats.

So please, if you are one of those people, I desperately want to know - Why is it you leave your engine running? Do you forget to shut it off? Are you going to rob the place and you want a quick getaway? Is it too hard to turn the key two extra times? Or do you just not know that you're wasting gas?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines