Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Ants in my pants

Er....in my shirt, that is.

Remember our mouse 'issue'? Well this morning we woke up, pulled back the covers and found mouse poop. A number of bodily fluids had gotten all over the sheets the night before so they had been freshly laundered and put back on the bed right before we retired last night. There was no way that mouse poop had been there before we went to bed. But wait, it gets worse-

No more than an hour after the mouse poop had us all sceeved, I pulled out a clean shirt, put it on, felt something itching my arm, scratched it and watched two black things fall to the floor. I freaked out (which caused Zach to come running), bent down to inspect it and realized they were not mouse poop as I suspected, but dead ants.

Seems like we're living in a horror movie and the next scene would reveal the bloodied, lobbed-off horse head on the pillow, right? Well, we have a couple reasonable (yet nevertheless just as stomach churning as imagining a mouse snuggling in bed with you) theories.

I'll start with the ants so as to desensitize you all to the gross factor. This one is simple: Zach made it up the stairs, inspected the ants and declared them flying ants. I hang our laundry on the line to dry in the backyard. The last time I wore this shirt was when all the anties were hatching. A couple of them must have gone exploring up my shirt sleeve and never made it out. Still nasty to think about, but nothing compared to the mouse theory.

Here's what happened last night: I was up very late, so in the dark I retrieved a receiving blanket from the kids' room (again, just where we keep their stuff) and proceeded to swaddle the baby in it. I placed her in the bassinet we have riding sidecar to our bed. At some point during the night I was nursing her and kept her in the bed with me. At that point I would have shed her blanket off and tossed it on the bed. In the morning Zach pulled it from the twisted covers, revealing the mouse poop. If you didn't already make your own conclusion, here's where it gets worse - that means my newborn baby slept for half the night in a blanket that had mouse poop stuck to it.

The stack of receiving blankets was (before I threw the rest of them in the wash this morning and then went to barf) sitting on top of the filing cabinet in the kids' room which is next to the dresser where we found the mouse poop a couple weeks ago. That means it probably crawled across the dresser and into the receiving blanket, making a nice little home for God knows how long.

Listen up little mouse, I told you it was ok to live in my attic, after all my home was probably build on top of yours, but now that you're messing in my house, it's on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines