Sunday, March 01, 2009

Lent

I saw Emmay yesterday and she was telling us all about her funny Ash Wednesday story. This reminded me that it was now Lent and I had forgotten to give something up. Having been two days past the start of it, there was basically nothing left which would be worth giving up that I hadn't already consumed. I was thinking, and then it occurred to me that I have an obsession with Target and that would be what I give up. Right then and there I declared I will not go to Target or buy anything from there until Easter.

And as per my comment in Emmay's blog, I will try to make this brief! I also have a problem with blog writing. I try to make it perfect. I spend too much time thinking about how to write things in the best way possible, go back and fix errors, aim for perfect spelling and grammar. I've been trying lately to just type things out, hit publish, and let it go at that. I wouldn't be so backed up with the blogging all the time if I could just stick to this brevity thing.

Anyway, back to Target - I like the simple living, feel poisoned by clutter, am constantly getting rid of things, and I am appauled by over-consumption. So what is it that happens to me when I enter a Target? I get sucked in and caught up in it. The clearance sections are the worst. I can't help it. Everything looks so pretty and nice, and has a way of making you feel like your life will be better if you fill your home with the colorful junk from their aisles.

My mantras have become: When in doubt, do without; where are you going to keep it when you bring it home?; and what am I going to get rid of for this new item to take the place of?

So here's to brief blogging (thanks Emmay for the catchy term, and I'll try not to picture you in your underwear when I am typing away) and a hope of mild withdrawal symptoms from not shopping at Target.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger emmay said...

Let em know if you need anything at Target....it won't count if I get it.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger xmas said...

Actually, would you mind picking up my prescription when it comes in, ahahaha. Just kidding, I'm planning to send Zach for that. I was already tested though, because the flier was in the Sunday paper yesterday and there were some pretty tempting deals...

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I'm giving up dieting and being on time for everything.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger xmas said...

Way to go! That's the spirit...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines