Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Since Saturday

Ha! I actually wrote that I was going to get a bunch of stuff done on Saturday. And that cockiness is what did me in. I wrote about how much I was going to do with the few hours left in the day. Then Jacob threw up.

The End.

That's the short version. Here's the longer version:

Jacob threw up. Zach was holding him and I saw it coming. I had only a second to get one word out and in a flash my brain decided the best word to succinctly convey what needed to happen next was, "Toilet, toilet!!" Success. He made it to the toilet. Then we got him to bed with a bucket on the floor. The bucket got used in the middle of the night one time and that was the end of the throwing up. Sunday was the start of the fever and feeling icky. Then the full-body rash started. Monday we stayed home from Playschool and the rest of the day was much of the same as Sunday.

Despite his fever, Jacob seemed to feel fine. He was running around and acting mostly normal, just a little bit more mellow. I put in a call to the doctor's office because the rash was very strange. No one called me back until today. I mentioned that he said his throat was hurting. The nurse said it sounded like Strep Throat and that I'd better bring him in. After I hung up I was all pissy that I had to pack the kids up and pay a $25 co-pay for no reason. I told Zach it wasn't strep, I'd just looked in his mouth the night before and I didn't see anything.

Turns out it is strep. Very much so. It's not that I'm a medical idiot, I just haven't had to deal with many, or really any, childhood diseases since becoming a mother. We're generally very healthy people. I've had strep myself, but I guess it presents itself differently with young children than it does with older people. And the rash...I'm so used to seeing Jacob's skin flare up with eczema, that I just thought it was some extension of that.

So, he just took his first-ever dose of antibiotics. I can no longer say that he's never taken them. Boo.

Sabine has also been under the weather a bit. I can't tell if it's teething or something more. She's just a tad off, but for a baby that's enough to want to be held and coddled all day long.

And there you have it, between these two sick kids, there isn't room for anything else. I can't believe I could have ever gotten to a point where I would let the order in our house get so out of order. I'm behind on everything and can't get caught up no matter how hard I try. There used to be a time when I could get caught up if only I tried hard enough, stayed up late enough. I believe that time is over. I will never finish my to-do list.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Kiddo's. Welcome to life with two kids though! It does seem like even on the good days you're only about 1 catastrophe away from disorder.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

When I was a kid, I had strep throat every year. Some years, I would have it twice. Now I feel like I'm pretty much immune to it.

So, has Jacob had chicken pox yet? I didn't have that until I was 20. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines