Monday, March 02, 2009

Beckie's Cat

Last week at Beckie's I was looking at her cat and I noticed something about him I hadn't noticed before. Sugar, or 'Shoogy', was hit by a car five years ago; he survived, but with permanent damage. I knew all this about Shoogy, yet I never noticed exactly what the damage was. So there I was on the floor, sweet-talking him and I guess I looked at him just right - and then I saw it. Or a lack thereof.

It was an empty eye socket.

Excuse me while my stomach turns inside out.

"Is that what I think it is?!" I screeched at Beckie.

"Oh yeah, don't look too close, it's really bad."

I'll say. It's not just an empty eye socket, it's like a two inch deep hole in his head that evokes memories of Pet Cemetery. I went running out of the room all freaked out and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since.

I was watching the boys today at their house while Beckie went to an appointment and every time I turned a corner the Cat was there, staring at me with his one eye. It's so bad I can't believe I didn't see it before. I guess I just saw the dark spot and assumed he had two different colored eyes. Now that I have seen it though, I can't not see it.

At one point today I went to toss something on Beckie's bed and there was the cat on the dresser. I ran away down the hall then thought to myself that if he was in the bedroom all I had to do was shut the door and that would solve the problem. When I ran back to shut it, he was on the bed going, Yeah lady, I dare you. Close me in and then see what happens. I silently clicked the door closed and half expected to see him in the kitchen on my way back to where the kids were.

This may seem trivial, but I see it as a real problem. I don't know how much more freaky one-eyed cat I can take. Jacob and I might have to find ourselves some new friends...

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger emmay said...

Thank you for furthering my hatred of cats. And reminding me of the terror of Pet Sematary (that's not so bad....I love Stephen King and delight in being scared s**tless by him). Next time I'm at Beckie's, I I'll have no choice but to hunt down the cat, and then I probably won't sleep for a week.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger xmas said...

You're so welcome. Funny thing is I feel like if I could just look him right in the eyes, er, eye, then I could know the worst of it and get over my fear. I know that wouldn't work though, I would really never be able to go back over there then.

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet I would have the same reaction. I love animals, but I don't think I can bear to see them in such a condition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines