Sunday, March 08, 2009

Following in my footsteps?

I've written before about how Jacob thinks when he and Sabine grow up they will get married (to each other) and have kids. This is a common thing for a kid his age, or so I'm learning. Anyway, today Jacob told me when he and Sabine have kids he's not going to work (meaning for pay, because we all know mothering is a shit ton of work), that he'll stay home with the kids and take care of them.

On the surface this is a cute thing to say and we can laugh at it, and know that when he grows up he's going to be some sort of super-athlete or green-living hero (or so I hope). But what it means to me on a deeper level is that he likes this thing we've got going on - me and him and Sabine at home, playing and doing housework, loving each other and learning all kinds of crazy things. He deeply values the experience of having a stay-at-home parent and wishes the same for his children.

While one could see it as some sort of twisted Oedipal complex, I think it's the best compliment a mother can get.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines