Friday, June 06, 2008

Sleep Talking

Last night I was having a conversation with Zach when we had both just gotten into bed. I talked, he responded, I added something to the conversation, he gave me his opinion, I spoke up about my idea of the situation and then he yelled "LOOOKOUT!!"

If that doesn't make sense to you, then I guess you just have to live in our house to understand. In the two seconds it took me to say my part of the conversation, Zach fell asleep. And then he started the sleep talking. Sometimes I actually look forward to this time of day because I know he is always good for a laugh.

"What?" I asked in all seriousness to keep him going. This is the key, you have to play along, act like you're in his dream with him and he'll just keep going, letting you into his subconscious. Maybe this is why I am so good at reading his mind. I am a lucky wife!

"Someone just rolled a bowling ball down the shoot!" Says Zach.

At that point I was laughing too hard to continue the game, but oh boy, I wonder what that one was about.

Many, many times I have had this same kind of situation happen and I've lain in bed cracking up to myself, drafting a blog post for the morning. And then somehow when the moment is over I can't get back how to write about it in a funny way. Maybe it is not funny to other people. Maybe you just have to be there and that is it. But I hope it's not because this is just really good material. It will remain one of my biggest regrets that I did not start to write down these 'sleep conversations' sooner. But I am vowing, here and now, to do a better job because this is the stuff we'll look back on in 50 years and still have a good laugh over.

Like a couple nights ago when we were cross-country reminiscing (about our trip last year) and were reading over some of the old posts and looking at pictures. I came across this post and as Zach and I read it we were in tears over the hilarity of it. I honestly don't know if it's funny to other people, or if you really do have to be there to enjoy the humor in it, but I don't care. I'm going to write about them and keep them filed away in my memory (like Zach suggested a few weeks ago during another sleep conversation - "File it under 'I' in the top drawer.") so life is interesting when we're 80.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEEHEE!!!!! I love sleep conversations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines